Poster Session 7
1. Changing Levels and Patterns of Under-Five Mortality in Nigeria: Empirical Evidence from Nigeria Demographic and Health Surveys • Gbemisola Adetoro, Covenant University; Gbolahan Oni, Covenant University.
2. Antenatal Care Utilization and Effect of Husbands’ Cohabiting in Nigerian Households • Temitope O. Adeyoju, eHealth Systems Africa and University of the Witwatersrand.
3. Determinants of Pregnancy Outcomes in Ghana: Does Quality of Antenatal Care Matter? • Patience A. Afulani, University of California, Los Angeles.
9. Integrating HIV/AIDS into Maternal and Child Health Platform: African Countries Making Limited Progress • Rose N. Oronje, African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP); Martin H. Atela, African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP); Violet Murunga, African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP); Abiba Longwe-Ngwira, African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) and Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen.
11. Women’s Empowerment and the Nutritional Outcomes of Children under Five in Low, Lower-Middle, and Upper-Middle Income Countries: A Systematic Review • Lauren Bardin, Emory University; Sara Thorpe, Emory University; Courtney M. Peters, Emory University.
12. Can Neighborhood Social and Environmental Context Account for Race/Ethnic Disparities in Childhood Asthma? Using Geocoded Medical Records to Explore an Ecological Model of Asthma • Mackenzie Brewer, Rice University; Kristin Osiecki, Rice University.
13. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit as a Facilitator of Breastfeeding among a Nationally Representative Sample of Low Birth Weight Infants • Angela Campbell, Pennsylvania State University; Patricia Y. Miranda, Pennsylvania State University.
14. Determinants of Childhood Immunization in India and Measurement of Gender Discrimination • Poulami Chatterjee, Jawaharlal Nehru University; Amaresh Dubey, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
15. Associations between Child Care Quality Regulations and Children’s Health Outcomes • Anna Choi, Cornell University.
16. Examining Stability and Change in Types of Intimate Partner Violence prior to, during, and after Pregnancy: A Latent Transition Analysis • Ceylan Cizmeli, State University of New York at Oswego (SUNY); Marci Lobel, Stony Brook University, State University of New York (SUNY); Audrey Saftlas, University of Iowa.
17. Wealth, Hierarchy, and Child Height in Indian Social Groups • Diane Coffey, Princeton University; Ashwini Deshpande, Delhi School of Economics; Jeff Hammer, Princeton University.
19. Neighborhood Norms, Disadvantage, and Intimate Partner Violence Perpetration across Adolescence and Young Adulthood • Jennifer Copp, Bowling Green State University; Peggy C. Giordano, Bowling Green State University; Monica A. Longmore, Bowling Green State University.
20. Maternal Morbidity and Mortality: Exploring Racial/Ethnic Differences Using New Data from Birth and Death Certificates • Sally C. Curtin, National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), CDC; Donna L. Hoyert, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
22. The Effect of High Fertility and Short-Birth Spacing on Maternal and Neonatal Health Status in Southwest Ethiopia: A Multilevel Analysis of Prospective Follow Up Study • Gurmesa Tura Debelew, Jimma University; Mesganaw F. Afework, Addis Ababa University; Alemayehu Worku, Addis Ababa University.
23. Evolution of the Five-Minute Apgar Score in the United States, 1978-2012 • Nicole DeVille, University of California, Irvine.
24. The Ties That Bind: Racial/Ethnic Segregation, Neighborhood Poverty, and Health • D. Phuong Do, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
25. Effects of In-Utero Exposure to Seasonal Influenza on Fetal and Infant Outcomes in the United States, 1989-2004 • Audrey Dorelien, University of Minnesota.
26. Child Marriage and Maternal Health Care Service Utilization in Ethiopia • Annie Dude, University of Illinois at Chicago.
27. Drought and Livelihood Strategies in Andhra Pradesh, India • Bornali Dutta, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS); Chandrashekhar Singh, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS).
28. Ecological Conditions, Malaria Prevention and Under-Five Mortality in Uganda • Bob Elwange, Kyambogo University; Lorretta Favour C. Ntoimo, Federal University Oye-Ekiti.
29. Health Effects of Single Motherhood on Children in Sub-Saharan Africa • Lorretta Favour C. Ntoimo, Federal University Oye-Ekiti.
30. A Description of Morbidity from Abortion Complications in Ethiopia, 2008 and 2014 • Tamara Fetters, Ipas; Hailemichael Gebreselassie, Ipas; Yirgu Gebrehiwot, Addis Ababa University; Mengistu H. Mariam, Government of Ethiopia; Yohannes Dibaba, Independent Consultant; Yonas Getachew, Ipas.
31. Food Prices and Child Mortality in India: Cross-District Analysis of the Indian District Level Household and National Sample Surveys, 2002-2008 • Jasmine Fledderjohann, University of Oxford; Sukumar Vellakkal, Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI); David Stuckler, University of Oxford.
32. Male Engagement as a Strategy to Improve the Delivery and Utilization of Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Services: Evidence from an Intervention in Odisha, India • Jean Christophe Fotso, Concern Worldwide U.S., Inc.; Linda Vesel, Concern Worldwide U.S., Inc.; Satyanarayan Mohanty, DCOR Consulting Private Ltd., Odisha; Ariel Higgins-Steele, United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
33. The Impact of Household Health Shocks on Female Time Allocation, Agricultural Labor Participation and Productivity in Rural Pakistan • Gissele Gajate Garrido, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
34. Racial Disparities in Infant Mortality, 1990 to 2004: Low Birth Weight, Maternal Complications and Other Causes • Ginny Garcia, Portland State University; Hyeyoung Woo, Portland State University.
35. Developing a Comprehensive Contextual Model of Reproductive Health Policy: Implications of the Affordable Care Act of 2010 • Monica Gaughan, Arizona State University; Georgia Michlig, Arizona State University.
36. Family Type, Ethnicity and Under-Five Mortality in Nigeria • Babatunde M. Gbadebo, University of Ibadan; Samson O. Bamiwuye, Obafemi Awolowo University.
37. Factors Influencing Antenatal Health Care Utilization in Bangladesh: Evidence from Multivariate Techniques • M. Sheikh Giashuddin, Jagannath University; Mohamed Kabir, Jahangirnagar University; Ahbab Mohammad Fazle Rabbi, European Doctoral School of Demography (EDSD) and Bangladesh University of Textiles.
38. Does It Really Get Better? Suicide Attempts in Two Cohorts of Sexual Minority Adolescents following Massachusetts Marriage Equality • Shoshana K. Goldberg, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Kerith Conron, The Fenway Institute; Carolyn Tucker Halpern, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
39. Antenatal Maternity Leave and Childbirth in the U.S. • Julia M. Goodman, University of California, Berkeley.
40. Disparities in Comorbidity of Lead and Asthma among Preschool Children in the U.S. • Danielle Gordon, University of Texas at San Antonio; P. Johnelle Sparks, University of Texas at San Antonio.
41. Assessing the Role of Health-Related Behaviors in Explaining the Relationship between Poverty and Obesity among Mothers • Margaret Gough, University of La Verne; Adam M. Lippert, Harvard University.
42. Immigrant Receptivity, Community Health Contexts and Access to Physician Care: Children of Mexican Immigrants in Emerging versus Established Immigrant Destination Areas • Deborah Roempke Graefe, Pennsylvania State University; Gordon F. De Jong, Pennsylvania State University; Stephanie Howe Hasanali, Pennsylvania State University; Chris Galvan, Pennsylvania State University.
43. Assessing Clustering of Malnourished Children in Developing Countries • Pallavi Gupta, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS); Shubhranshu Upadhyay, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS).
44. Is Women’s Empowerment a Pathway to Improving Child Health Outcomes? Evidence from a Randomized Control Trial in Burkina Faso • Jessica Heckert, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI); Deanna Olney, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI); Marie Ruel, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
46. Household Food Insecurity and Young Immigrant Children’s Health and Development Outcomes • Ying Huang, University at Albany, State University of New York (SUNY); Stephanie Potochnick, University of Missouri, Columbia; Colleen M. Heflin, University of Missouri, Columbia.
47. Parental Influence on Child Diet and Weight Outcomes • Noura E. Insolera, CUNY Institute for Demographic Research (CIDR) and University of Michigan.
48. Introducing a Tool to Measure Gender-Sensitivity of Health Facilities in Afghanistan • Laili Irani, Population Reference Bureau (PRB); Rahila Juya, Futures Group; Hamrah Khan, Ministry of Public Health, Afghanistan; Kathleen Sear, Futures Group; Omarzaman Sayedi, Futures Group.
50. Understanding Pathways of Social Group Disparity in Child Malnutrition in India: Evidence from 1992 to 2005 • Subhranshu Upadhyay, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS); Mayank Prakash, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS).
51. Community-Based Documentation of Perinatal Mortality: Evaluating the Classification of Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes Captured by Health Surveillance Assistants • Olga Helena Joos, Johns Hopkins University; Kingsley Laija, National Statistical Office, Malawi; Luke Mullany, Johns Hopkins University.
53. Exploring the Trajectory and Patterning of IPV Perpetration from Adolescence to Young Adulthood: A Growth-Curve Analysis • Angela M. Kaufman, Assumption College; Alfred DeMaris, Bowling Green State University.
54. Early Maternal Employment Patterns and Child Body Weight at Age 6: Evidence from Germany • Michael Kühhirt, University of Cologne.
55. Maternal Death and Extent of Utilization of Maternity Care Services in India • Chandan Kumar, Central University of Karnataka; Prashant Kumar Singh, Institute for Human Development; Rajesh Kumar Rai, Society for Health and Demographic Surveillance.
56. Effect of Socio-Economic Inequality in Health on Economic Growth in India • Kaushalendra Kumar, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS); Ashish Singh, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay; Faujdar Ram, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS); Abhishek Singh, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS).
57. Violence and Depression in Baltimore and Johannesburg: Teasing Apart Experiences of Violence among Adolescents • Hannah Lantos, Johns Hopkins University; Sinead Delaney, University of the Witwatersrand; Heena Brahmbatt, University of the Witwatersrand.
58. Maternal Nonstandard Work Schedule, Children’s Dietary Patterns, and Their Body Mass Index • Haena Lee, University of Chicago.
59. Predicting High-Cost Pediatric Patients: Derivation and Validation of a Population-Based Model • Lindsey Leininger, University of Illinois at Chicago; Brendan Saloner, Johns Hopkins University; Laura R. Wherry, University of California, Los Angeles.
60. Pregnancy in Adolescence: Survival Analysis of Neonatal Outcome in Babies Born to Young Mothers in Dhanusha, Nepal • Karoline Tufte Lien, Norwegian Institute of Public Health; Naomi Saville, University College London and Mother and Infant Research Activities (MIRA), Nepal; Anthony Costello, University College London; David Osrin, University College London; Dharma S. Manandhar, Mother and Infant Research Activities (MIRA), Nepal; Bhim Shrestha, Mother and Infant Research Activities (MIRA), Nepal.
61. Perinatal Mortality in Mexico: Levels and Trends by State and Municipality, 1990 to 2013 • Katherine Lofgren, University of Washington; Rafael Lozano, University of Washington.
62. Conditional Cash Transfers and Child Body Weight in Colombia: Causing Obesity or Preventing Undernutrition? • Sandra Liliana Lopez Arana, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam; Ian Forde, OECD, Paris; Frank Van Lenthe, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam; Alex Burdorf, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam.
63. Women’s Decision-Making Autonomy and Under-Five Mortality in Rural Mozambique • Luciana Luz, Cedeplar, UFMG.
64. Childhood Immunization in Bungoma County, Kenya from 2008 to 2011: The Need for Improved Uptake • Grace W. Mbuthia, Moi University; Anthony Harries, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris; Andrew Obala, Moi University; Henry Nyamogomba, Moi University; Chris Simiyu, Moi University; Mary Edginton, International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris; Mohammed Khogali, Médecins Sans Frontières Belgium; Bethany Hedt-Gauthier, Harvard University; Barasa Otsyula, Moi University.
65. A Household Food Voucher Increases Consent to Home-Based HIV Testing in Rural KwaZulu-Natal • Mark E. McGovern, Harvard University; David Canning, Harvard University.
66. Minorities Are Disproportionately Under-Represented in Special Education: Over-Time Evidence across Five Disability Conditions • Paul Morgan, Pennsylvania State University; George Farkas, University of California, Irvine; Michael Cook, Pennsylvania State University; Hui Li, Pennsylvania State University; Richard Mattison, Pennsylvania State University; Steven Maczuga, Pennsylvania State University.
67. Nutritional Status of Argentinian Preschool Children: The Role of Family Structure • María Eugenia Muniagurria, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Beatriz Novak, El Colegio de México.
68. State Physical Education Requirements, Youth Obesity and Academic Performance • Thanh Tam Nguyen, San Diego State University.
70. The Changing Effects of an Early Childhood Attention Deficity/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Diagnosis on Cognitive Development for Cohorts of Children Born across Three Decades • Jayanti Owens, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Heide Jackson, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Angela Forgues, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
71. Empowering Women to Prevent Breast Cancer: Research Agenda and Preliminary Findings • Tasleem Padamsee, Ohio State University.
72. Mid-Day School Meals as Social Safety Nets: An Evaluation of the Impact of Iron Fortification of Mid-Day Meals on the Prevalence of Anemia among Children in Odisha, India • Pradnya Paithankar, United Nations World Food Programme; Shariqua Yunus, United Nations World Food Programme; Divya Tiwari, United Nations World Food Programme.
74. Death in the European Family: A Demographic Approach Using Microsimulation • Antoine Pierrard, Université Catholique de Louvain.
75. Grandparent, Parent and Child Coresidence: Links with Child Health • Natasha Pilkauskas, Cornell University.
76. What Explains Differences in Child Health between Rural, Urban, and Slum Areas? Evidence from India • Claus C. Pörtner, Seattle University; Yu-hsuan Su, University of Washington.
77. Recent Trends in Influenza Vaccination Disparities among Texas Children • Lloyd Potter, University of Texas at San Antonio; Corey S. Sparks, University of Texas at San Antonio; Bradley Pollock, University of Texas at San Antonio; Brian Munkombwe, National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), CDC.
78. Demystifying Self-Rated General Health in the Chinese Population: What Does and Does Not It Measure? • Yaqiang Qi, Renmin University of China; Jianlin Niu, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
79. Using Indepthstats to Analyse Mortality Trends in Children and Young Adults in Three Rural Regions of Ghana • Osman Sankoh, INDEPTH Network; Samuel Bosomprah, University of Ghana.
80. Estimating Incidence of New HIV Infections in Uganda from Routine PMTCT Program Data • Bryan Sayer, Social & Scientific Systems, Inc..
81. Family Structure, Relationship Transitions, and Risk of Child Abuse/Neglect • William J. Schneider, Columbia University.
82. Political Violence, Land Reform and Child Health: Results from Zimbabwe • Olga N. Shemyakina, Georgia Institute of Technology.
83. Effect of Early Wedlock and Young Motherhood on Nutritional Status of Children in Selected States of India • Deepti Singh, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS).
84. Are You Still Bringing Me down? Romantic Involvement and Depressive Symptoms from Adolescence into Young Adulthood • Julie Skalamera, University of Texas at Austin.
85. Experiences of Family Structure and Maltreatment across Childhood • Chelsea Smith, University of Texas at Austin.
86. Big and Small, Early and Late: A Family-Based Study of the Health Effects of Preterm Births and Birth Weight • Ken R. Smith, University of Utah; Heidi A. Hanson, University of Utah; Stacey Knight, Intermountain Healthcare; Karen Curtin, University of Utah; Jeannette Carpenter, University of Utah; Benjamin Horne, Intermountain Healthcare; Michael Varner, University of Utah.
88. Is Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Associated with Better Nutrition and Education Outcomes for Children? Evidence from Bangladesh • Esha Sraboni, Brown University; Akhter Ahmed, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
90. Maternal and Child Health Utilization among Slum-Dwellers in India: Role of Husbands, Mother-in-Laws, and Providers • May Sudhinaraset, University of California, San Francisco; Naomi Beyeler, University of California, San Francisco; Sandhya V. Barge, Center for Operations Research and Training (CORT).
91. Health Insurance Coverage and Its Impact on Maternal Health Care Utilization in Low- and Middle-Income Countries • Wenjuan Wang, ICF International; Gheda K. Temsah, ICF International; Lindsay Mallick, ICF International.
92. Recent Child Mortality and the Gender Gap in LDC - The Brazilian Case (2000-2013) • Laura R. Wong, Cedeplar, UFMG; José Alberto Carvalho, Cedeplar, UFMG; Juliana Vasconcelos, Cedeplar, UFMG; Gabriela Marise O. Bonifacio, Cedeplar, UFMG.
93. Parents’ Pregnancy Intention and Maternal and Child Health Outcomes: NSFG 2006-2010 • Suzumi Yasutake, Johns Hopkins University.
94. Individual and Community-Level Predictors of Women’s Decision on Place of Delivery: A Multilevel Mixed-Effects Analysis on Ethiopia National Demography and Health Survey • Henock Yebyo, Mekelle University; Mussie Alemayehu, Mekelle University; Alemayehu Bayray, Mekelle University.
95. Spatial Analysis of Child Mortality in South Africa: Evidence from the 2011 Census • Samuel A. Zewdie, University of Cape Town; Vissého D. Adjiwanou, University of Cape Town.
96. Birth Outcomes among Sub Saharan African Immigrants in Canada and the United States: A Test of the Healthy Immigrant Effect • Zoua M. Vang, McGill University; Irma T. Elo, University of Pennsylvania.
Click on a name for contact information
Click on a title to see the abstract